Leadership is a form of art, an art anyone can learn and practice to any degree. Any form of mastery requires time and effort. Listed below are few steps you can use to master the Art of Leadership.
The 7 Ways to Develop the Art of Leadership:
- 1. Recognize- Recognize that leadership is a gift, an art, a craft… that has to be continually developed. Seek out and be willing to learn from effective leaders who have developed this craft we call leadership.
- 2. Realize- Realize the fact that although leadership is a craft, it is not rocket science. STOP MAKING IT SO DIFFICULT. I repeat, unless you are a leader at NASA, your leadership role is not rocket science; take it easy and quit making things so hard on yourself and others.
- 3. Remember- Remember the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you!” Most leaders barley remember the bronze rule, let alone The Golden Rule. As a leader it’s important to care about your people, to love your people, to care about their interests and care about their success. It’s simple, treat those that you lead how you would want and expect someone to treat you. Remember in order to become an effective leader you have to understand that “Relationships Matter!”
- 4. Replicate- Replicate what works and don’t force things that don’t work. Don’t try to be a replicate of another leader or simply replicate what you have read in a book, but rather replicate the effective “What Works” concept into who you are and what you do!
- 5. Resurrect- Resurrect a dying team member; an effective leader has the ability to take a dying team member on the verge of being fired and help resurrect them into a story that begins with this sentence… “There was a time when so and so team member was on the verge of being fired and so and so leader believed in them… Wow, Look at how successful they are now!”
- 6. Reproduce – The Art Of Leadership is about contributing to the world of leadership by truly caring about those that they lead and always reproducing leaders. They never confuse Management with Leadership. Managers manage people and things — Leaders reproduce more leaders. Simply put: ”If You Are Not Reproducing Leaders” your leadership artistry has not evolved to the threshold of effectiveness.
- 7. Reinvent- Reinvent the way leadership is carried out! Break the box, find a new way, figure out what works for you, don’t be scared to be different, reinvent what might has been seen as irrefutable. Reinvent out of hunger, creativity, thinking, believing, seeking etc.; don’t reinvent for the sake of reinventing! ”Don’t reinvent the wheel” applies to those who reinvent for the sake of reinventing!